The general archives of SMA are located in the General House via della Nocetta 111. They have the status of private archives: they are not open to the general public. However, we gladly welcome researchers wishing to consult the old documents more than 50 years.
SMA Archives contain:
- Letters written by / to our founder, Bishop Marion Brésillac and by senior generals who succeeded him: Father Planque (from 1859 to 1907, typing 8.700 letters fill 19 volumes), Bishop Pellet (from 1907 to 1914: 13 volumes), Bishop Duret (from 1914 to 1919 a volume), etc.
- The letters from missionaries in Africa since 1858 (mainly from Dahomey, Western Nigeria, Gold Coast, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Egypt).
- Several "customary" or mission Journals (diaries).
- Correspondence between the Prosecutor in Rome and Propaganda.
- Biographical information on members of the SMA.
Related to archives, a library contains some theses and monographs made by our colleagues or students who conducted their research in our archives, as well as various books about missionaries or African themes.
Phone number : (00 39) 06 66 16 84 36
Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9 am 00-12: 30 pm; 15 h 00 to 17 h 30.
The archives are closed during school holidays.
It is good to announce in advance by email the day it is proposed to come: an email will confirm quickly that the archivist will be present to welcome you.